If you are trying to clean up your credit, you will come across plenty of companies offering you an easy fix. Any company promising instant results for a price is more than likely a scam. There are companies out there that are tricking people into paying hundreds even thousands of dollars for a so-called credit repair service.
Here’s the thing about credit repair: There is rarely an instant fix to clean up your credit. These scammers through websites, sales calls, emails, and text messages, promise to boost credit scores by removing all negative items from customers’ credit reports for a fee (an illegal fee). You can repair your own credit and protect yourself from these credit scams.
- Get a free copy of your credit report at http://www.annualcreditreport.com/. Review it carfully. Do you recognize all the accounts listed?
- If you find mistakes, contact the credit bureau and the business that reported the information. They must delete inaccurate or imcomplete information. You do not have to pay anyone to do this for you, you can dispute inaccurate items on your credit report yourself, for FREE.
- Only time can correct negative, accurae information on your credit report. You can rebuild your credit by paying your bills on time, paying off debt and not creating new debt.
If you still need help cleaning up your credit:
- Contact a legitimate credit counseling organization https://www.justice.gov/ust/list-credit-counseling-agencies-approve-pursuant-11-usc-111.
- Good credit counselors review your whole financial situation before they make a plan. They don’t promise to fix all your problems or ask you to pay in advance.
- Learn how to spot a credit repair scammer. If the company asks you for money upfront, they tell your NOT to contact the credit bureaus yourself, or they tell you to dispute accurate charges on your report.
Learn more about cleaning up your credit history at https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/fixing-your credit
And if you were scammed or know of a scam, report it to the FTC http://www.ftc.gov/complaint